Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Dyrkacz. Gary Dyrkacz. is offline

Default Engineered hardwood flooring questions

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:29:32 -0600, Caesar Romano
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:52:15 -0600, Gary Dyrkacz.
wrote Re Engineered hardwood flooring
questions:

I am going to be installing ~1400 sq ft of 3/4" x 4 1/2" engineered
plank oak hardwood flooring.

What does "engineered" mean? Is that where they take a bunch of saw
dust, compress it with some kind of glue mixed in, then add a 0.5mm
oak laminate on one side?

There are variations, but it appears where we are talking about
moderate quality products or better, engineered planks are based on
multiple wood plys, anywhere from 3 to 7. The examples I mentioned are
5 ply. The wear layer in these specific cases is either 1/8" or 1/6".