Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Jones Moe Jones is offline

Default Sticking gas valve in furnace

PaPaPeng wrote:
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 03:44:20 -0000, Big Giant Head
wrote:

Hey as long as we are on the topic of gas valves. Is there an
adjustment for main gas flow under the silver screw on this one?
Elsewhere?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2403/...631323b0cb.jpg

I put this in several years ago. The OEM part was NLA; this was the
recommended replacement (which surprised me a little since the body
size was different so I had to use a different nipple on the left
and relocate the pilot line a little as well). Works fine but early
on I had a few trips of the heat sensor attached to the draft
diverter. Never had that happen before but then someone pointed out
that they thought the flame size was a little bigger than in the
past.

I throttled back the gas at the shuttoff and figured I'd check into
further adjustments at the gas valve. I got lazy and just left it
and it's been working just fine ever since. But of course that's
not exactly right. Figured I'd ask before looking myself as someone
will know.

The adjustment on the valve I am familiar with is for the size of the
pilot flame. You can eyeball the flame to adjust to your idea for
the best flame.. The valve I have is a Honeywell V800A1161, slightly
different from yours. Right next to the pilot light knob is a screw
with the words "Pilot Flow Adj" screw molded into the alloy body.

In the valve installation manual there is a "Pressure Regulator
Adjustment" beneath cover screw (illustration). My furnace works
fine. I am not about to fiddle with this adjustment. I believe if
your furnace works leave it alone.

The other adjustment is the air restrictor orifice on the burner tube
to adjust the air/gas mix ratio. The flame should be a clean blue
flame.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents.

If the gas line that feeds the gas valve is copper you may want to replace
the gas line and maybe the valve.

When you have a copper gas line carbon forms inside the copper pipe and
after awhile that carbon falls off and goes into the gas valve and cause the
valve to act up.

The worse thing I have seen is the valve not closing.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

We Sell Lead Free A/Cs