Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
NoOne N Particular NoOne N Particular is offline

Default How do you make your own tools?

I guess I should have given more information regarding the types of
tools I would like to make. I wasn't really thinking about tools that
use round stock like gouges, etc. although the Oland tool is one that I
will proly do. I don't have the capability for milling so things like
long grooves down a piece of round bar is not an option. I do have
things like a GMAW welder (that is what they call it in school nowadays,
but it's a MIG welder), OA welder/torch, grinders, and an old SouthBend
9" metal lathe so I can do a few things. My son has a small propane
fired forge that I could use, but it is not quite in a position where I
can get to it easily. I would have to clean his garage to get to it and
that AIN'T happnin!!!

But still, I was thinking more along the lines of scrapers, captive ring
tools, beading tools, maybe a Bedan tool, etc. Things I could make
that, for the most part, only require a little cutting and grinding on
my part. Since the prices of everything is going up so fast and so
much, I was thinking that I could maybe save a few dollars. My income
situation right now is an outgo situation so every dollar counts. But
after seeing the prices of tool steel . . .SOB! Time for Plan D or E.

I think I will go to the metal recyclers in town and look for some high
carbon steel. Maybe from some shock absorbers as someone mentioned, or
maybe hydraulic rams, etc. Then if I find a tool design that I like,
maybe I can get something like some M4 tool steel and make a really good
one.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Wayne