Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] lenond@charter.net is offline

Default Widow Maker

wow what a company hope u keep this cousin on your xmas mailing list
and with bowls
don

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:56:20 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Striker you could call my cousin to do the job, not low cost those
guys and their equipment though. ;-))
http://www.weijtmans.nl/
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Nov 21, 7:08 am, wrote:
I've seen both extremes of tree trimming. Both an arborist (tree
doctor) coming in to take down a tree and a guy with a .306.
Admittedly the latter took place 100 miles from anyone who might call
the police.

The arborist would climb up and tie off a line above the branch he was
planning to cut and tie it to the branch as well. Then someone on the
ground would control and lower the branch down once it was cut.

When they were topping down the tree they would tie off above and
below where the cut was to be made then allow the rope to catch the
cut section as it began to fall.

Whether you go one way or the other I wish you luck. Me I'd call an
arborist. Who knows you might find a new source for turning stock.

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:36:54 -0800 (PST), TWW
wrote:

There is a clump of several cherry trees in my woods. I'd like to
cut one down and use it for making bowls. (there is a picture at
http://warpedwoodturner.blogspot.com...-headache.html
).

The horizontal branch in the pictures must have partially broken in a
windstorm about two years ago. I was going to cut down one of the
trees then saw the branch up in the air about 25 feet. The branch is
about 4" thick where it meets the trunk and looks about 1/2 broken.
The top of the branch is caught in another of the trees. The other
two trees are harder to work on safely since the clump is on a
hill.

Some of the people in this group have talked about coming from
logging families so I thought I'd see if anyone could give any
guidance here. Getting beaned by the branch if it detached from the
tree sounds like bad news.

Thanks.