Posted to rec.woodworking
Bonehenge (B A R R Y) Bonehenge (B A R R Y) is offline

Default Precise Long Cuts?

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 03:48:39 GMT, "David Todtman"
wrote:

You'd be able to make a
reasonably good rip cut with it. Then you could use a wood rasp or, better
yet, a plane to get a rather good edge that would allow you to make that
stool. Then, Bob's your uncle!

This is the best straight edge tool guide I know:

http://www.womeninwoodworking.com/tips/startingpoints7.cfm

I make them double-sided, for a circular saw and router.

So, he'd make the cut with the saw, turn the guide around, and take
the last 1/32" off with a straight bit in the router. Since the OP
dosen't have a table saw, he'd simply make one for each tool, using a
clean factory plywood edge as the straight edge. The edge of the
hardboard is cut the first time, forming a reference to align to the
planned cut line.

I have lots of big tools and hand planes, and still keep some of these
around in several lengths for site work, large sheets, and squaring
table top glue-ups.