Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk is offline

Default TRV stuck

On 22 Nov, 13:50, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I've got a radiator that is not warming up and I think the TRV is
stuck. I know this happens now and again. If you take the top off,
there is a pin. I can't remember, do I push it in or pull it out to
release it?

Pull it out. Then check it's working by pushing it in and releasing it
a few times. The total movement is only a few millimetres.

Would a little 3-in-1 or WD40 on it prevent this happening again?

Lubricant might help, but usually they are stuck internally due to
crud inside.

A good tip is to open all the TRVs full when the heating goes off for
the summer. The only problem is that other people go around closing
them thinking "We don't need the radiators on in this weather." This,
of course, is the converse of the present problem where they whack
them up full because "The radiator's gone cold."

I do wonder how much "carbon" could be saved by an advertising
campaign to tell people how to use TRVs properly.

Chris