Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Q on grounding for cell phone antenna

wrote in :

snip

The route for a grounding wire in this application is somewhat
complex. The dormer described sticks out from the bottom of the "A"
roofline about 12' off of grade, so a ground wire from the mast would
need to follow down the outline of the dormer wall, back about 4' to
the exterior wall (with metal siding), then down vertically about 12
to a grounding rod.

As I understand it, non-vertical ground wires are less effective than
straight runs down. Curious to know if I could simply ground the mast
to the metal siding, and have a short grounding wire from the bottom
of the metal siding to the grounding rod? Use the siding as part of
the ground?

You are correct about straight runs being better. I don't know if I
would use the metal siding as a conductor. Doing that may increase
the likelihood of stray current branches entering the house.

I suspect it is against electrical code to use the siding as a "ground"
in ANY manner,and a superlatively DUMB move.

there's no guarantee that each siding panel(being painted or coated!!) is
connected electrically to the adjacent panels,and there's a VERY good
chance of corrosion or high resistance,negating any grounding ability.

Most likely,any lightning strike would jump over to the nearest electrical
wiring inside the walls,or any nearby metal plumbing.
and burn down your home.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik