Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
spaco spaco is offline

Default How do you make your own tools?

Learn blacksmithing. Many woodworkers have gotten into blacksmithing
for just this reason. Warning: It, too can become habit forming.

But if you want to make tools just to save money, don't. Just buy them.
Maybe cheaper turning tools are better to start with since you Will
have to learn how to sharpen them since they'll probably dull more rapidly.
Or get the A2 or W1 that Enco and MSC sell as another poster
suggested. But, be warned that those steel come to you annealed and
will have to be hardened properly and (for the W1)tempered properly to
be of much use to you.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------------

NoOne N Particular wrote:
Hi all,

I have been wanting to make a few of my own lathe tools for a while. The
prices of what I see seem to be very high. At least I thought so before
I started looking for raw materials. I priced 18" pieces of 1/4 x 1 1/2
M2 and M4 tool steel for $110+ and $170+. DANG!!!

So the questions are, what do you use for raw materials (I would assume
plain carbon steel), where do you get it, and what kind of tools do you
make?

TIA,

Wayne