Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_2_] Gerald Ross[_2_] is offline

Default How do you make your own tools?

NoOne N Particular wrote:
Hi all,

I have been wanting to make a few of my own lathe tools for a while.
The prices of what I see seem to be very high. At least I thought so
before I started looking for raw materials. I priced 18" pieces of 1/4
x 1 1/2 M2 and M4 tool steel for $110+ and $170+. DANG!!!

So the questions are, what do you use for raw materials (I would assume
plain carbon steel), where do you get it, and what kind of tools do you
make?

TIA,

Wayne

A cheap source of steel is shock absorber rods. It is very hard stuff.
You have to cut it with a right angle grinder. I found some from 3/8
to 5/8 diameter and made several tools. For a bowl gouge I ground a
flat on one side then ground a groove down the center of the flat. To
make the flute I used a carbide burr of the appropriate size in a
drill. It is hard work but I used them for a long time. However, I now
just buy one. I still use a couple of bedan tools I made.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Those are my principles. If you don't