Posted to rec.woodworking
David Todtman David Todtman is offline

Default Precise Long Cuts?

Cool. One of the first things I made was a step stool for our, then,
2-years old girl.

And like the other guy said, you really are smart to wait to get a half
decent table saw. You'll decide, of course, from all the advice but I would
suggest you consider spending a little more than the 50 bucks and purchase a
reasonably good 'skill' saw (not skill brand). You'd be able to make a
reasonably good rip cut with it. Then you could use a wood rasp or, better
yet, a plane to get a rather good edge that would allow you to make that
stool. Then, Bob's your uncle!

It's pretty good to be starting out on what could be a satisfying life-long
adventure in learning and making things with your hands (and tools!).

Best,
David Todtman
"Adam" wrote in message
. ..
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Adam
wrote:
I need to make a precise cut of wood to be 24" long and only 4 1/2"
wide.

How precise? What's it for?
Right now all I really have is a 10" compound miter saw (as far as saws
are concerned) - which obviously won't do.

I did just pick up a very nice Porter Cable router!

So now I am sort of stuck realizing I am going to need to buy yet again
another power tool

And that's a problem exactly how? g
I am avoiding buying a table saw because I don't want to get the
cheapest one ($99 Ryobi). I would much rather save up and buy one later
on that is nicer.

Good plan. Buy good tools, and you cry once when you open your wallet.
Buy crappy tools, and you cry every time you use them.
I have considered buying a circular saw ($50 Skil) that has an
Accu-Sight. Along with that I will setup a fence. Do you think that is a
good plan / option? Any other tips that you guys have for me? This is my
first wood working project and I am anxious to get started with it!

Depending on how precise you really need it, the circular saw may work
for you (make sure to clamp the wood down securely), or you may be better
off finding a buddy with a table saw who can cut it for you. Also, if you
buy the wood from a real lumber yard (not Home Depot, Lowe's, etc) they
will be able to cut it to size for you, for a fee of course. If you could
provide more specifics about what you're using this board for, we could
advise you better on the degree of precision needed and the best way to
achieve it.

I am going to be *trying* to make a foot stool. The 24" X 4 1/2" length is
for one of the sides.

There will need to be a top that rests perfectly on top of it.

Adam