Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng PaPaPeng is offline

Default Sticking gas valve in furnace

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:05:51 GMT, PaPaPeng wrote:

If the valve works otherwise on your current setting the valve works
OK. Its the controls to the valve that needs work or replacing.

One more tip. If you think the valve is sticking use a rubber mallet
and give it a good thump. The feed gas pipe to the valve is made from
very tough black iron. The gas burner manifold that connects the
valve to the burner array is made of as tough a material (mine is
silver colored that is not paint). You can't dent either with a heavy
hammer if you tried. A good thump on the valve won't damage anything
and may just loosen the valve. That was what the gas company service
guy did to my furnace.

In the end I replaced my furnace valve. But the actual problem was
the old brittle plastic insulation on the 24Volt wires to the valve
that had caused an electrical short. It was not visible as I had
wrapped them with electrical tape and the wires looked OK. Once used
the new valve could not be returned for a refund.