Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default 220 volt to 110 volt

In article , wrote:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 23:43:02 -0000, Steve Kraus
wrote Re 220 volt to 110 volt:

Doug Miller wrote:
But he never actually said that he has a neutral. He's *assuming* that
there is one. This is a common assumption among people who don't
understand how North American 240V service works, but it's usually a
mistaken assumption.

He expressly referred to two hot wires, a ground wire, and a wire he
referred to as a "common." 4 wires in all. What are you suggesting he
means by "common" other than neutral? No one is suggesting he or anyone
else wire anything without verifying for certain that that is the case.
But we have only what he stated to go on.

Since you're the one who is coming to the conclusion that the wire he
refers to is NOT a neutral may I ask what you think it is? Everyone else
here believes he is referring to a neutral...yes yes it should be
verified...but that's what he said and I'm puzzled why you draw some other
conclusion.

Indeed, I second the request. With all 4 wires accounted for, just
what do you (Doug) think the OP is referring to by "common" and
"ground" ?

See my response to Steve. Perhaps the third time you read the same thing,
you'll finally figure it out.

Guess what: Some professional electricians will run a neutral in a
240v circuit even if the application doesn't require the neutral. They
do it because it's a good practice that can save a lot of aggravation
down the line.

Yes, some do. Most don't.

Admit it Doug. You read it wrong. It's as simple as that.

No, I didn't. *You* read it wrong. Maybe if you take a deep breath, re-read
the original post -- where the OP never said that he actually looked to see
what's there -- and finally think about it even just a little bit, you might
possibly begin to realize that you don't have a clue.

But probably not.

Question: when you screw up some wiring, are you just as obstinate in
admitting the mistake?

I've made no mistake here.

--
Regards,