Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Mildly OT - A Relatively Productive Weekend

Wed, Nov 21, 2007, 6:39am (EST-3) (Charlie*Self)
doth sayeth:
snip I'm like JOAT in that this the only one I've ever even heard of
that works so a suppressor might be used. Interesting. Gimmicky. I
wonder how reliable these things were/are?

From what I've read, quite reliable. The Rooshians even turned a
few into target revolvers, because they were so accurate. However, I
believe the target models were all converted to single action, because
of the very heavy double action trigger pull. They were rebarreled
also. Mine looks very solid and quite well built. You gotta figure
it's reliable, because they issued it from about 1895 to the 1950s;
they're not one to stick with a weapon that isn't reliable, or at least
sturdy enough to use as a club if it does break. What they were not is
quick to load, unload, and reload. You open a gate and put in one round
at a time. Close the gate, then fire the seven rounds double or single
action. Then to unload the empties, you open the gate, unscrew the
push the rod to the side, use the rod to punch out an empty, rotate the
cylinder to the next, empty, repeat until all chambers are clear. Push
the loading rod back under the barrel, push the rod back in, screw the
rod back in. Load. It was definitely not intended for extended gun
fights. But when you needed it, you could count on it working. No
delicacy there at all.

JOAT
Cats - The Other White Meat