Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default 220 volt to 110 volt

In article , "Jeff" wrote:
I assumed the poster spoke correctly and there was a neutral, yes I know
stuff that only uses 240 often is fed with two hots and a ground.

But he never actually said that he has a neutral. He's *assuming* that there
is one. This is a common assumption among people who don't understand how
North American 240V service works, but it's usually a mistaken assumption.

Most 240V *appliance* circuits *do* have a neutral (because they also have
120V control circuits).

Most 240V *motor* circuits do *not* have one.

My bigger
worry would be if the 240 breaker was larger than 20A which is not allowed
for standard wall plugs.

It'd be one heck of a big pool pump, to need a 30A 240V circuit...

--
Regards,