Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng PaPaPeng is offline

Default Sticking gas valve in furnace

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 18:14:46 -0800 (PST), Orlandes
wrote:

When raising the thermostat setting so that the heat is supposed to
come on, the gas valve sticks. I can free the sticking with vibration
by tapping in the area.

Do I need an entire gas valve assembly, or can I just replace part of
the switch? Would a service call be able to clean the valve?

TIA

If the valve works otherwise on your current setting the valve works
OK. Its the controls to the valve that needs work or replacing.

The valves are fixable. But by law no parts repairs are allowed even
if done by a certified HVAC technician. A new valve costs CDN $185.

Call you gas company to do the checkup. Mine has the obligation to
restore service (a functioning home heater or water heater.) There is
no charge if no parts are used. Checking transformer voltages and wire
connectiions, including fixing them is free. If parts are used he
will only charge that part of the work. Or if he advises you to hire
an independent service company you will know the exact problem that
needs to be fixed by them.