Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Afghan Bridge Update and Sad News

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:58:03 -0600, Ignoramus4770

On 2007-11-21, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:12:19 -0600, Ignoramus10223
wrote:

I would be amazed if simple "wrap it in foil and use twisted wire"
approach did not 100% prevent premature detonation through any kind of
RF generator.

I worked in two-way radio/RF for most of my career. It
really isn't all that easy to shield things from RF. What
looks good to the eye can leak horribly and what you would
swear could never work does...

But would RF deliver enough amps to cause detonation?

IF you got lucky and hit a resonate frequency, maybe, but I
really doubt if this is useable. Remember these guys have
their own communication equipment that can't be knocked
off-line for any length of time either. If you make
something powerful enough to detonate the IED's they will
most likely wipe out their own communications. I wouldn't be
surprised if on-board computers in vehicles went berserk and
shut down too at the levels it would most likely take.

Most of out local commercial broadcast radio and TV stations
are pumping out at least 50,000 watts, some more. Do these
seem to have any noticeable effect on stuff that you've
seen? Think about how much power it would take to do
something like what you are considering when a 50,000 watt
station does bother things all that much.

If I was going to try and make something it would look like
a four wheel dumpster that you push down the road ahead of
the vehicle. An angled heavy blast plate towards the vehicle
to deflect blasts up/over and wheels that track the same as
the vehicles. It should be heavy enough to trip the IED
pressure plate. A quick disconnect hook-up so it could
quickly released and jettisoned from the inside of the
vehicle (shrug). KISS

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b