Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jango2 jango2 is offline

Default SONY KE-42M1 Plasma problem

While most servicing is done that way, it's certainly not the "only" way to
do it. I've heard quite a few reports right here in this group of people
doing component level service on flat panel sets.

Bang on ! I may take 15 days to fix an lcd or plasma but i'm doing it
component level.
Some of the faults i've seen:
100k chip resistors that measure 100 k with a meter but measure lower
in circuit when powered up causing SOS ...power trip.
Broken track from one controller going to another , that too mid layer
in the pcb.
Dry electolytics , thats a normal one.
Busted MOSFETS
Defective panel blowing precious panel driver ics and a hole in my
wallet
Bad optocouplers in PS
I love the fact that most authorised service centres are strictly
prohibitted from carrying out chip level repairs. Gives us a
competitive edge. Better pricing and quicker delivery. They have to
wait 6 weeks for those boards.