Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default Precise Long Cuts?

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in
:

Adam wrote:

I need to make a precise cut of wood to be 24" long and only 4 1/2"

wide.

Right now all I really have is a 10" compound miter
saw (as far as saws are concerned) - which obviously won't do.

I did just pick up a very nice Porter Cable router!

So now I am sort of stuck realizing I am going to need to buy yet

again another power tool

I am avoiding buying a table saw because I don't want to get the
cheapest one ($99 Ryobi). I would much rather save up and buy one
later on that is nicer.

I have considered buying a circular saw ($50 Skil) that has an
Accu-Sight. Along with that I will setup a fence. Do you think that

is
a good plan / option? Any other tips that you guys have for me? This
is my first wood working project and I am anxious to get started

with
it!

"Puckdropper" added:

A circular saw with a good straight edge can be an excellent all

around
tool. Many people use levels as their straight edge, and I'm

seriously
considering trying that myself.

Actually, with a straight bit your router can make the cut. You'll

need
a good straight edge fence, but you'll need that sooner or later

anyway.

Don't buy a cheap table saw, they're not worth it. Mine's

practically
worthless when it comes to anything beyond basic ripping. (I'm
surprised I got as good of results as I did cross cutting today.) A
circular saw, OTOH, can be an excellent addition to your shop and
woodworking tasks. I've got a Skil circular saw and it's a very

good
tool.

Build your own straight edge using 1/4" plywood.

Straight from "Ask This old House.

Rip a 12" x 96" and a 6" x 96" piece of plywood.

Glue pieces together with 4" exposed edge on one side, 2" on the
other.

Cut one side and then the other trimming some of the exposed edges.

The cut edges are are not the guide edges.

BTW, use an 8 ft alum angle as the straight edge to make the first
cuts.

Lew

I'm a little fuzzy on how this is supposed to be... Is it something
like:

******

Where your saw/router rides above the bottom row of stars, next to the
top rows?

Puckdropper