Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default OT - Bad day at Airbus

RCM only

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:50:32 +1100, with neither quill nor qualm,
Sylvia Else quickly quoth:

Stealth Pilot wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:20:06 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

A brand-new A340 doing full-throttle tests
slipped it's brakes and/or jumped it's chocks,
climbed a blast shield, dropped and broke the
cockpit off.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1293784/M/

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/airbus...t_02_large.jpg

A couple people hurt, probably at least a
couple people looking for new jobs.

doesnt it worry anyone that the fuselage disintegrated as much as it
did?

Stealth Pilot

Well, do we know how fast it was going at impact, and whether the
engines were still at full power at that point?

It was hardly designed for nose impacts with solid and immovable
objects. I think that incident would have made a mess of any airliner.

It looks to have hit the barrier head on, jumped up, and dropped its
head over the sharp point. I think any airframe would have been
battered by that maneuver. You'd think they'd tie the rear landing
gear to prevent such incidents, wouldn't you? Well, I'll bet they do
so from now on.

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003