Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default Precise Long Cuts?

Adam wrote in
:

I need to make a precise cut of wood to be 24" long and only 4 1/2"
wide.

Right now all I really have is a 10" compound miter saw (as far as
saws are concerned) - which obviously won't do.

I did just pick up a very nice Porter Cable router!

So now I am sort of stuck realizing I am going to need to buy yet
again another power tool

I am avoiding buying a table saw because I don't want to get the
cheapest one ($99 Ryobi). I would much rather save up and buy one
later on that is nicer.

I have considered buying a circular saw ($50 Skil) that has an
Accu-Sight. Along with that I will setup a fence. Do you think that is
a good plan / option? Any other tips that you guys have for me? This
is my first wood working project and I am anxious to get started with
it!

A circular saw with a good straight edge can be an excellent all around
tool. Many people use levels as their straight edge, and I'm seriously
considering trying that myself.

Actually, with a straight bit your router can make the cut. You'll need
a good straight edge fence, but you'll need that sooner or later anyway.

Don't buy a cheap table saw, they're not worth it. Mine's practically
worthless when it comes to anything beyond basic ripping. (I'm
surprised I got as good of results as I did cross cutting today.) A
circular saw, OTOH, can be an excellent addition to your shop and
woodworking tasks. I've got a Skil circular saw and it's a very good
tool.

Puckdropper