Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default Q on grounding for cell phone antenna

On 20 Nov 2007 22:54:22 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

wrote in :

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 05:57:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Nov 20, 12:10 am, "Mamba" wrote:
wrote in message

Just mount the yagi on a metal mast and run a clamped on wire from
the bottom of the mast down to a rod driven into the ground. If
you want to use a wooden mast then just clamp a wire to the boom
or the mount of the antenna and run the wire perpendicular to the
boom and away from the antenna down the wooden mast. The ground
driven rod is ideally eight foot long but it is unlikely you'll be
able to use the full length. If possible drive the ground rod
close to grounded plumbing like your outside water spigot. Attach
a short jumper to the plumbing also.

This is the ticket. I'll do it this way. Best compromise between
safety and signal quality.

Not according to the NEC, which requires an arrestor on the cable and
doesn't have a compromise. What you are proposing grounds the
antenna mast, but leaves the antenna itself with no protection.

Wrong. A Yagi by design is DC grounded. Boom and elements.

but is what the Yagi *mounted on* grounded? (not the cable shield,a REAL
ground.)
if you bolt an antenna tripod or chimney mount on your roof,they will need
a proper ground wire.

just depending on a cable "ground" will channel lightning into your
receiver and home.

Didn't what I said aboveground the mast or boom?