Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jdycus@gmail.com is offline

Default Problems Caulking Tub Surround

On Nov 20, 3:22 pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
wrote in message

Hello,
I have a tub surround I've had to replace the caulk on a few times
since I've lived in my condo, and this latest time it was with a water-
based caulk that came right out a couple months later. So I cleaned
out all the old caulk with goof-off and made sure the surface was nice
and clean for the silicone I was going to use. I used GE Silicone II
and it never set right, it had been four whole days and it was still
tacky and didn't seem to be curing at all. So today I have begun
removing all the caulk and it's coming out nearly as wet as it was
coming out of the tube. Really strange, I must have had a bad tube
since it's not too humid or dry in seattle right now, and it's about
68 degrees in my house.
The problem I'm having now is that getting the slimy silicone off of
my tub. It appears I've gotten most of it but does someone know a
good way to get off that last bit of slime? I'm thinking if I wait
another day or two maybe it will dry enough so I can remove it a bit
easier but I think that might be wishful thinking. Any thoughts would
be appreciated...

The caulk was too old. That is why it didn't cure. Don't buy caulk until
you need it. It has a very limited shelf life. Check the tube label for
clean up info.

The thing is that I had just bought this caulk and it had an
expiration date of 01/09. Could it be just a bad tube?