Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Widow Maker

Okay, what am I missing? The branch is 25 feet up, half broken off, and the
main thing holding it up is the other tree. Throw a rope over the thing and
break it off. If you can not pull it off, use a come-along. Then cut the
tree down. Actually, it could likely be dropped safely anyway, but I like to
be sure.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"TWW" wrote in message
There is a clump of several cherry trees in my woods. I'd like to
cut one down and use it for making bowls. (there is a picture at
http://warpedwoodturner.blogspot.com...-headache.html
).

The horizontal branch in the pictures must have partially broken in a
windstorm about two years ago. I was going to cut down one of the
trees then saw the branch up in the air about 25 feet. The branch is
about 4" thick where it meets the trunk and looks about 1/2 broken.
The top of the branch is caught in another of the trees. The other
two trees are harder to work on safely since the clump is on a
hill.

Some of the people in this group have talked about coming from
logging families so I thought I'd see if anyone could give any
guidance here. Getting beaned by the branch if it detached from the
tree sounds like bad news.

Thanks.