Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Underground phone line cut to house

Jim Redelfs wrote:

In article , "Pete C."
wrote:

Never seen it in any old residential installation anywhere.

5-pair buried drop was pretty new in 1974 and rarely used except for running
to small businesses and residential mansions.

Of course, it all depends on the telco and part of the country.

that is called "flooded" cable

Uh, "filled" cable. (icky pic)

We call it flooded in the cable biz.

Oops. Thanks for the correction. (sorry)

and the gel inside helps keep out moisture.

...and it works GREAT - until someone chops it in half.

It still keep moisture out of the cable, just doesn't do much for the
cut ends.

Ain't it the truth. ...and it softens yours hands so nicely!

Did/do you work in cable draw or what? We have (had) a HUGE Western Electric
plant in Omaha - the Omaha Cable Works. It's called "Connectivity Solutions"
this week.

CATV cable, not wire / cable manufacture.

Only yesterday I encountered more, brand new, GARBAGE (inside) phone wire
(cable). It was purchased at Menards, made in China and marketed under the
Southwestern Bell banner.

Three pairs (I love this: red/green, yellow/black, white/blue) and absolutely
NO twist.

I activated a second line to the SNI of a customer who wanted BOTH lines at
the new location - prewired with this garbage wire.

I put my butt set on one pair and my toner on another pair. When the toner
was switched on, it was as if I had the phone connected DIRECTLY to the toner
- there was THAT much inductive cross.

This trash was UL listed (and what a joke THAT is) and classified CMX on the
jacket.

UL only cares about safety, and that garbage wire probably won't kill
anyone. Of course the jacket PVC probably has a high lead content like
most everything made in China seems to have...

Don't buy phone wire at Menards, folks. Get Cat 5e at Home Depot or Lowes and
be sure. Wotta mess.
--

JR