Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Mildly OT - A Relatively Productive Weekend

Went to a gun show with the older son. And, don't give me any of
that male bonding crap. Bought a Nagant revolver, for some strange
reason. Has the most interesting wood grips I've ever seen - four
piece. There's a piece on each side of the grip, nicely, coarsly,
checkered. Then there's a rectangular piece on the front of the grip,
and another on the rear, both also checkered. Got a nice deal, not
great on it. Apparently completely arsanel refinished at the end of
WWII, and put away. It looks new. Interesting tidbit, it's the ONLY
revolver that can successfully be used with a sound moderator/sound
suppressor (silencer in slang). Trigger pull is horrible in DA, feels
like about 20-30 lbs.

Also during the weekend, I figured out how to lay out an octagon
with equal sides. With my software, took less than 5 minutes, start to
finish. My software consists of a pencil, ruler, graph paper, and my
brain. LOL

Then, because the tolerences are going to be a lot closer than one
of my usual jigs, I also figured out what I need to do to make a jig to
accurately lop off the corners of a square, to make my octagon. Need a
jig because I need to make 32 (bases for chess ieces), at a minimum.
I'd been thinking about using my power mitre saw to make the cuts, but
decided a small saw sled for the bandsaw would work out better. This
one took about the same amount of time to figure out - one piece of ply
for the base, one piece of stock for the runner in the slot, then three
pieces on top to hold the square for cutting. The only real hard part
will be accurately gluing the first piece on top, as that pretty much
sets the accuracy for the rest - to insure maximum accuracy, I'll glue
just one part at a time. Always nice to come up with something new,
totally on my own. So, not a bad weekend at all.

JOAT
So Many Cats So Few Recipes,