Jeffrey Lindemuth

Default Making plug gauges

"Robin S." wrote in message
m...

"Jeffrey Lindemuth" wrote in message

If you set your compound rest to 6º clockwise past the z-axis (that is,
almost parallel with the ways the carriage slides on), each graduation on
the compound turns into a movement of 1/10 of the grad in the x-axis.

This means that if you dial in .001" on the compound rest, you will reduce
the *diameter* of the work piece by .0002".

Yes, for all of you with calculators it's actually something like 5.75º

but
you don't need to be that picky.

I've had to turn (with a HSS cutter) 12L14 to a tolerance of +/-.008mm and
this method works quite well.

HTH.

Regards,

Robin

I mount dial indicators to measure the actual movement of the cutter in the
radial direction. Then I do not need to measure angles and backlash is much
less of a problem. About a year ago I collected various Starrett .001 and
..0001 reading dial indicators from EBAY. It has proven to be a great
investment.

Jeff