Posted to alt.home.repair
Mamba[_2_] Mamba[_2_] is offline

Default Q on grounding for cell phone antenna

wrote in message
Just mount the yagi on a metal mast and run a clamped on wire from
the bottom of the mast down to a rod driven into the ground. If you
want to use a wooden mast then just clamp a wire to the boom or
the mount of the antenna and run the wire perpendicular to the boom
and away from the antenna down the wooden mast. The ground driven
rod is ideally eight foot long but it is unlikely you'll be able to
use the full length. If possible drive the ground rod close to
grounded plumbing like your outside water spigot. Attach a short
jumper to the plumbing also.

This is the ticket. I'll do it this way. Best compromise between safety
and signal quality.

Couple of more questions then....

I'll be running the wire down the outside of the house, over metal siding.
Will need to bolt/clamp it to the side of the house since it will be a 10' +
run. Do I need special clamps to try to keep the wire off the wall?

Also, what gauge wire is recommended? Is there a special designation for
grounding wire that the folks at the supply store will know (and obviously I
don't).

Thanks again