Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Underground phone line cut to house

Jim Redelfs wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

The 'landscaper' was the homeowner in this case.

Unless the official locating marks (if called for) were "off" by more than
18-inches or the locator was a "no show", the digger pays.

I am sure the telco will fix it

Have you called them? If no, you should.

but at what cost?

If a simple, permanent repair is done, it should be less than $200.
Homeowner's insurance covers such things but I can't imagine anyone with a
deductible less than $200.

I have the two strands connected so there is service restored to the
house.

That's OK and quite common. Just don't attempt a DIY "permanent" fix. It
will fail and, in the frost belt, it always dies in January or February when
the frost is 3-feet deep. In such a case, I just lay a temporary wire on top
of the ground and the hapless homeowner gets to mow around it for x months
until a new drop is placed or I come back, dig up the newly landscaped yard
and do the repair at that later time.

Bite the bullet and have the telco fix it properly. It will last MUCH (years)
longer and you will enjoy trouble-free service gag, hack for it.

Or he can just get cable modem service, go VOIP, port his current number
and ditch the evil TELCO forever...