Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] captainvideo462002@yahoo.com is offline

Default DSL disconnection problem

On Nov 19, 8:46 pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Sam Goldwasser hath wroth:

Or better yet, split the line where it comes in and then you only need
one filter.

Yep. That's the right way to do it. Not only is there only one
device to install wrong, but it has the benifit of isolating the DSL
carrier from all the typically rotten wiring in the house. That's
usually not important up to about 12,000ft, but becomes critical near
the limits of commodity DSL at about 18,000ft. Such installs usually
have problems getting enough line level and the telco will
intentionally slow the connection down to reduce errors. I can
sometimes squeeze a little more line level out of the system by using
an outside splitter.

--
Jeff Liebermann
Santa Cruz CA 95060http://802.11junk.com

There is one other factor which I didn't mention. There is an alarm
system in the house. The CO has to hit the alarm system first. There
is a double pole relay in the dialer with center connected to the CO.
This relay normally is connected: CO to premises equipment. In the
event of an alarm, the CO toggles over to the dialer, and "siezes" the
line which in turn disconnects all premises equipment. If the
incoming CO is split, someone could concievably short the DSL side
during alarm dial out and circumvent the alarm. I've always installed
alarm systems this way, first in line and never had a problem with
DSL.. And alarm test signals go out fine. Only one pair seems to come
into the house and is cut down in the basement. I don't see any
filters there at all. And i never heard DSL when testing these lines.
Lenny.