Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] usethisone2007@gmail.com is offline

Default Underground phone line cut to house

On Nov 19, 7:14 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:

If the problem is on THEIR side of the user friendly box, then it's THEIR
problem. Just call and say the phone is not working, and it's dead at the
test port also.

It may be on their side of the demarc, but it was damage from illegal
digging (law says call the call before you dig number first), so they'd
be within their rights to charge to repair the damage. If say a big mole
had eaten the cable, no charge.

Yes, its on their side, BUT I hadn't called first. That's the catch.
And I don't feel like rolling the dice assumming that they will fix it
for free. I'd almost rather fix it myself than pay who knows how much.
I'm sure I can do the job once I find the right splicers and the
proper/best way to waterproof it. I dug up some of the line as it ran
away from the house to try and get some slack and after about 10 feet
distance it was still just 5-6 inches deep. I would use the reasoning
that it wasn't run deep enough if I thought I had a chance, but its
almost not worth taking that chance. There is not alot of money
floating around right now to waste on them doing a repair that I could
do, although not nearly as quickly.

Just wondering if anyone else had them fix it for free after such an
obvious violation of the standard procedure of calling first and then
digging carefully.

phil