Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Which DVD Player is more reliable?

"Andy Cuffe" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 01:03:41 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Although Philips stuff may not be the most pleasant to work on, and their
service info sucks, I have found it in general to be quite well built, and
reasonably reliable. Iam interested in what negative experiences you might
have had to make you feel that it is "the worst" ?? Do you feel that the
Memorex would be a better bet? We might be seeing a difference in products
here between the US and UK.

Arfa

I used to have a recent Philips DVD player and it was not made by
Philips. The quality of the boards and components was similar to a $9
clock radio. There were also lots of firmware bugs which made it
almost unusable (and there were no updates available). When I got
tired of it I ended up throwing it away rather than donating it (I
didn't want anyone else to waste money of it).

Andy Cuffe

That's interesting Andy. I see a reasonable amount of Philips stuff - mainly
hifi and DVD - and I can't recall ever seeing an item that you would not
have said was actually made by them. They have a distinct 'Philips-ness'
about them, and it would be very easy to say, when taking one to bits, "that
doesn't look like a Philips ..." if indeed it didn't. So perhaps they do
reserve stuff that they make themselves for the 'home' market, and badge
stuff of other manufacture, for the US market. I suppose it could be
something to do with import restrictions or duties or even for some
'political' reason. I have a friend who works for a company that carry out
exclusively Philips service. I'll give him a call, and see if they see stuff
that isn't of native Philips manufacture.

Arfa