Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default Quietest Shop Vac? Need in a hurry!

wrote:

I built the one I found in the first issue of "Home Handyman" that
someone gave me for Christmas. :-)

A plywood box about two feet square and a little higher than two feet,
all carpeted. One side is a hinged door. At the back is a whole bunch
of one inch holes and furring strips around the top and sides of the
back, and over that is some leftover paneling so the exhaust is
shunted towards the floor.

Quieted down that cheap screaming Menards shopvac. Without the box, in
the basement, the wife had to turn up the TV upstairs. With the box,
she barely noticed it was on. Two years later that screaming shop vac
died and I replaced it with one of those Shop Vac "Quiet" models,
which we all know ain't that quiet. But in that box, it is.

There are those who will tell you if you put your shop vac in a box,
it'll overheat and die. And mine did. Two years later after many
hundreds of hours of use. Couldn't tell you if it was due to
overheating or not but I think I got my 40 bucks worth. :-)

This one has been in there for six months. Doesn't get used quite as
hard now that I've got the DC, but it turns out the shop vac is better
for the ROS and the band saw, so it's getting used.

You make your shop vac foot print a little bigger, but you also gain
the space over the vac as a tool station. I use it for my planer. I
store the implements in the box and made cleats to wrap the extension
cord and the extra long hose I bought, and put two power strips on it.
One strip I use to turn the vac on and off and the other is always
hot. Very handy little station.

I like that idea for a basement shop,
but I'm in a small outdoor shop. My idea
is to mount the vac outside and run the
power cord and hose through holes in the
wall. The vac will be protected from the
elements with a small roof and partial
walls. My idea isn't so much to reduce
noise as to give me extra space. In a
small shop, a 12 gallon vac takes up a
lot of room.

Come summer, when the neighbours are
back, I may have to build a box as well.
--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/