Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default VGA Monitor Identification Bits?

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 15:55:23 -0800 (PST), webpa wrote:

OK. I guess I was not clear enough: I want my computer to think a
monitor is attached to its VGA port when a monitor is not connected.
This is necessary because I want to be able to turn the computer's LCD
"OFF" for extended periods of time while it is recording streaming
audio. (The APM will ***NOT*** do this...if an app is active, the APM
will not turn off internal LCD, not matter what). The FN+F7 cycle
will not work unless the computer senses a monitor attached to the VGA/
SVGA connector.

BTW...None of the suggestions so far have provided a useful answer.

I'm now gravitating to buying a junk CRT monitor and stuffing the
interface card into a plastic bag at the end of a short VGA cable.

Bur surely....

It's probably just looking for a 75 ohm load on one, or more, of the
RGB output pins. It's unlikely that they designed the laptop so that
it would only work with a monitor that had ID pins, or EDID. Many
high end monitors use BNC inputs, and there is no ID, or EDID on a VGA
to BNC cable. Simply make a terminator dongle out of a VGA connector.
Andy Cuffe