Jeffrey Lindemuth

Default Making plug gauges

"Robin S." wrote in message
. ..
A good way to remove scale after hardening is with sand blasting. You

might
be able to do it chemically but that sounds dangerous (for both you and

your
tools).

Out of curiosity, how are you grinding and lapping the gauge? Do you have

cylindrical grinder? A lathe with a tool post grinder? Always looking for
new ways to do things...

Regards,

Robin

Thanks to Robin and Harold for the comments on sand or bead blasting. I did
not realize that sand blasting could remove the scale in the knurl. I try
and learn something new every day. I am off to a good start today.

I am going to use a tool post grinder on my 9 inch star lathe. I picked up a
Dunmore #14 at an auction recently. It is small, but taking lite passes and
grinding between centers, I think think it will be OK. This is a hobby
project, time is not a major concern.
For lapping, I am planning to use cast iron laps and lap on the lathe, as
described in modern toolmaking methods (1915).
Just seems like a neat project.

Thanks
Jeff