Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default New wooden door

John wrote:
I've had to put a new wooden door on the garage. What's the best way of
treating this? Normally I'd wait for a dry summer day and varnish it but
can I use varnish when it's freezing like this? Luckily it's in a
sheltered spot which doesn't get much rain so it'll stay mostly dry over
winter but I'd still like to treat it asap. Given the choice I wouldn't
have done it now but since the old one broke we had to get a new one put
in.

Thanks

I always treat the bottom edge with candle wax, especially the end grain
bits at the corners. This is usually where the door absorbs most
moisture, but the bit everybody forgets. Makes it less likely to swell
in wet weather and less prone to rot.
Any solvent based Ronseal type varnish will go off in cold
weather...eventually...but might show water spots if it rains. They all
go yellow though. I'd use a 2 part Rustins varnish which sets hard in a
couple of hours and stays water clear.