PoP

Default Router recommendation

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:03:22 +0100, "Toby"
wrote:

Just be nice to them, you don't need to get into any long drawn out argument
"I'd like to return this" = "How would you like your refund?"
It is most unlikely they will even ask what's wrong with it.
Your reasons are valid and unrefutable.

I have just drafted the letter, I will be taking the router back to
B&Q tomorrow. I've listed all the things I found wrong, including the
following gems. Router as described he

http://www.diy.com/bq/product/produc...55&CATID=62251

The published specification on the B&Q web site states that the router
has a plunge depth of 60mm. Can't argue with that description.

The same specification states that the router has an integral dust
extraction facility. Can't argue with those words either.

Except that with the integral dust extraction facility (it is secured
with screws) the plunge depth is 35mm, and that's measuring the collet
depth without a bit inserted (so it has sod all to do with any router
bit). Absolutely frigging impossible to go any deeper than 40mm no
matter how much you squint at the measuring ruler.

If you take the dust extraction facility off then maybe, just maybe,
the router would go somewhere near 60mm. Haven't tried, because the
advert says 60mm and dust extraction, not exclusive one or the other.
Plus routing dust could be carciogenic, I can't imagine B&Q would be
promoting the idea of not using dust extraction facilities.

And if you put a 50mm x 1/2inch worktop bit in at the correct depth
(with the cutting surfaces at least a couple of mm away from the
collet) then the bit protudes by several mm even with the router
retracted - the only way I could get the 50mm bit into the router
without it protuding from the routing table would be to grip the bit
in the collet by its cutting surfaces. This in my view makes the
router somewhat dangerous in so far that the only way of entering the
workpiece is to rotate in at an angle. Now with jigsaws that might be
an acceptable practice, but with a router I expect (providing the bit
is suitable for this) to plunge in vertically.

Pile of pooh. Don't touch the PPro 2050W router with a bargepole. Its
performance wouldn't give a 500W cheap router a run for the money.

PoP