Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default DVD repair question

"radiosrfun" wrote in message
"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 13:48:35 -0500, radiosrfun wrote:

I have a DVD player here - most likely not worth repairing - given
todays
prices - but it belongs to my grandkids and it is a "Batman" oriented
design.

Now - first of all, it's had a history of the littlest one stuffing a
"few"
dvds in the slot. Each time, I took them out - player worked ok.

This last time it was brought to me, it wasn't playing at all. First of
all,
I noticed - but not sure of the issue - which I'll get into "second" -
that
the mechanism wasn't bringing the laser to the DVD. I manually corrected
it - then seen it wasn't playing that way either. I cleaned the player
with
some DVD/CD cleaner supplies - and it is now playing "that" way. The
second
issue which I corrected manually for the testing purposes is - the DVD
goes
in - door shuts - the mechanism is supposed to come up injecting the
spindle
into the DVD to rotate it and also place it in range of the laser - it
is
not doing that. If I push it up "manually" - all works well.

Now - I've started to look at it albeit need some better lighting than
where
it was. I'm not sure "yet" - if it is of a mechanical issue, electrical
or
combination as to the cause of this problem. I started to look at it -
got
away from it for a few days due to other work - but was in the process
of
checking the mechanics. Not having a schematic on this, what is the
probability that an Electronics component "could" be faulty? I mean - so
far - the mechanics "seem" ok - but still checking. IF I can run this
down
to even a "board" - there are only like 4 sections to this, maybe if I
can't
narrow it down to "a" part - I can order the "board" or Mechanism. Most
is
pretty much plug in and screws holding it down.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of issue? I've never had to do
DVD/CD repair other than cleaning - before now - to really know the
"inner"
workings. So, it is going to be a learning experience for me - in this
regard.

Model # KSM6002

Aside from a DC Comics label affixed - the only name I see on it is -
Kids
Station Toys International. It has a Customer Service Number listed on
it -
but I'd rather reserve that call for any parts - rather than tech
information as we all know how those calls can go - sometimes. I hate
battling my way through scores of people who don't understand the
problem
only to be forwarded to someone I can't even understand (bad English).

Knowing that children use it and the "littlest one" innocently causing
some hardship on the mechanics my educated guess is that the mechanism is
out of alignment. Get it in some bright light, put on your reading
glasses and get familiar with how the mech works, drive belt or worm
drive
whatever is there. It's not that complicated if you are handy with a
screwdriver.

Therein lies the problem - got to put er in some "bright" light. Trying to
see what is going on in dim light - doesn't help! But - thought I'd tap
the resources of those of you here for some additional ideas, being this
is my first "internal" DVD repair.

Reading glasses? Hells fire - I wear glasses and see that stuff better
with them "off". Even the bi-focals don't help. But whatever it takes,
we'll give er another glance.

Thanks!

I don't know if you have a Maplin store near to you (you sound like you're
UK), but if so, you might like to get yourself a white LED. I have a couple
of these on the bench, one set in the end of an old Biro pen tool, and one
just soldered and sleeved to a pair of stout-ish wires. I connect them
externally to a set of NiCd batteries from an old cordless phone.

Those white suckers burn so bright, that I find them endlessly useful for
looking inside mechs, just as you are trying to do now. The one on the Biro
pen body, can be slid in where you can get straight in, and the one just on
wires, can be manouvered around 'corners'. Don't forget to check the specs
of any white LED that you get. They need a bit more voltage to drive them
than reds or greens etc. Also make sure that you limit the current.

Arfa