Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost to move Hot water tank

On Nov 18, 9:33�pm, car crash wrote:
On Nov 18, 7:50 pm, Clark wrote:

car crash wrote in news:a9799e7d-8066-4eb5-9488-
:

On Nov 18, 12:04 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
wrote in message

. ..

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:56:17 -0800 (PST), car crash
wrote:

I am going to finish my basement and in short I'm going to have to
move my hot water tank about 10 feet so I can finish that part of the
basement. � How much should it cost me to have a plumber come in here
and move the hot water tank, disconnect th gas and the ABS pipe and
the electrical and all that and reconnect everything ? �I'm in Ottawa,
Canada.
Thanks all.

That's going to cost you a fortune. �You most likely do not have
enough money in your life savings to pay for this and you'll end in
debt for life. �It would be cheaper and easier to leave the water
heater where it is, and move the house. �But if you insist on moving
the heater, you better sit down for this............ prepare to spend
anywhere from $350,000 to $600,000. �I'm a professional plumber and
this is the estimated cost for the labor. �Parts will be extra, plus
you'll need a costly building permit.

Al's Plumbing & Heating

You forgot about the teflon tape.

Are you people for real ??? �It's a simple hot water tank that is only
1 year old. �Yes there is water in it, but how hard can it be to
disconnect two flex lines and a gas line and reconnect it all 10 feet
away ???

Clearly "Al's Plumbing and Heating" isn't for real.

As for the rest, it's an open question. I moved my own gas water heater in
a long afternoon. A plumber would have been quicker since (s)he would have
just used all new fittings off the truck and I re-used as much as I could.
Moving the vent can be just as much or more of a pain than re-locating the
gas and water.

Without pictures and a description it's difficult to say how long your
particular project would take. I'd think the least amount of time it would
take is 3 hours (everything perfect for the move) and hopefully the most it
would take is a long day (everything has to be seriously re-routed).

One other thing - in your original post you mention ABS and electrical.
What's up with that?
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

By ABS I meant the ABS pipe that vents outside. There is an ABS pipe
that comes off the top of the tank and vents outside. �As for
electrical I meant just plugging it in.- Hide quoted text -

will the vent be shorter good? or longer? longer mightr be bad.

will you need a new electric outlet at the proposed location?

I think the 500 buck estimate is on target or low.

why not call a couple local plumbers and get some quotes