Posted to alt.home.repair
Girlygirl Girlygirl is offline

Default 1920 House - ceiling question.

Hi all,

We have a 1920 cape in NJ. Only lived here 3 years. The previous
owners finished the attic to a master bedroom with a shower. A few
weeks ago I noticed bubbling in the paint in the ceiling downstairs
where the shower is. Got a plumber in and he said the seal around the
shower pipedrain was probably leaking water and he sealed it. However,
the paint downstairs seems to be coming away from the ceiling faster
and in a wider area.

Today I climbed on a ladder and chipped a big piece of the paint from
the ceiling. It doesn't seem most. There's literally about an 1/8th or
more of an inch worth of paint so the paint layer is heavy. The
ceiling seems to be made of something like concrete. I don't know what
else to call it. It's rough and not like plaster (which is what I
expected to find). It doesn't feel particularly most to the touch. I'm
wondering a few things...

1) What might this material on the ceiling be? Can it be concrete?
2) Could the continued sagging paint and cracking be what's left from
the original moisture that got into the ceiling and the paint is just
falling down with gravity cuz now it's loose???
3) How do I find out if there might be wet beams between the shower
stall and the ceiling? I'm concerned I could have water damage in
there.

At NO POINT was there a noticeable leak or water. Just bubbling paint
that seemed like a sign of moisture, but no obvious water.

Not sure if that was all clear but I'll clear up anything that I can.

Thanks.

Girly Girl