Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
JANA JANA is offline

Default CRT Monitor Problem

If you are tapping on the monitor case to have a temporary repair, this
means that there is a cold solder connection somewhere in the monitor. More
than likely it could be on the main circuit board, one of the daughter
boards, or a connector.

The monitor would have to be un-assembled, and jigged up so that it can be
worked on. The process of slightly flexing boards and connections can be
done to try to zero in on where the fault is. Once found, then the
connection can be re-soldered. This can be very time consuming work.

Working on a monitor requires good electronics experience, a sound knowledge
of monitors, and troubleshooting skills. There are many safety issues
involved. I would suggest you take the monitor to a service centre and have
an estimate done in order for you to make a logical decision if it is worth
to service or not.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
Hi,

About a week ago my 19" CRT started displaying an extremely distorted
picture. It intermittently goes into a state where the picture is
broken up into fuzzy lines (I can't describe it well) and the
slightest tap on the case could cause it to return to normal
(temporarily) or get worse.

I've checked for any broken video connections inside or outside, but
there are none. What's weird is that I ran the monitor with the
plastic case off and the problem disappears. But as soon as I put the
case back on the slightest movement or tap near it makes the picture
go crazy again.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be? Could the
case be causing some sort of interference?

Thanks in advance for any comments.