Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Cost to move Hot water tank

"car crash" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 12:04 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
wrote in message

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:56:17 -0800 (PST), car crash
wrote:

I am going to finish my basement and in short I'm going to have to
move my hot water tank about 10 feet so I can finish that part of the
basement. How much should it cost me to have a plumber come in here
and move the hot water tank, disconnect th gas and the ABS pipe and
the electrical and all that and reconnect everything ? I'm in Ottawa,
Canada.
Thanks all.

That's going to cost you a fortune. You most likely do not have
enough money in your life savings to pay for this and you'll end in
debt for life. It would be cheaper and easier to leave the water
heater where it is, and move the house. But if you insist on moving
the heater, you better sit down for this............ prepare to spend
anywhere from $350,000 to $600,000. I'm a professional plumber and
this is the estimated cost for the labor. Parts will be extra, plus
you'll need a costly building permit.

Al's Plumbing & Heating

You forgot about the teflon tape.

Are you people for real ??? It's a simple hot water tank that is only
1 year old. Yes there is water in it, but how hard can it be to
disconnect two flex lines and a gas line and reconnect it all 10 feet
away ???

The answer is yes, no, maybe, and definitely.

Not a word was said as to whether the pipes are soldered together or
threaded. Big difference. Not a word was said about the age of the tank
and whether moving would be economically rational if the thing is just going
to go poof in two weeks. Not a word was mentioned as to if the new gas pipe
was to be surface mounted, or have to go inside the studs. Not a word was
mentioned about earthquake strapping. (You might not know it, but in a lot
of places that haven't had major earthquakes in centuries, there is now a
code requiring earthquake straps.) Not a word was mentioned about a new
catch pan to keep a leak or rupture from doing co$tly damage.

With such an exact description, what do you expect? If I was to do it, I
wouldn't guess as to cost because once you start to break pipes apart, you
may have to replace more than originally anticipated.

AND, tape for gas joints is about double what it is for normal tape.

It's like asking an open question on the Internet of : What's the weather
going to be like tomorrow?"

Duh. The Internet is worldwide. How's it going to be where I am really
doesn't have anything to do with what the weather of the OP will be.

I will stick with my $500 estimate plus permits if necessary. And that's
just to move the old tank and not replace. Let's see who's closest.

Steve