Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Relay problem

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Mike wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:50:55 +0200, Mike wrote:

I have a light that refuses to go on.

The light switch (wall type) is connected to a relay. Now the relay
won't
"click". It used to work a couple of days ago. The relay has
operating voltage of
24V which switches a 240V line (lights).

I would like to test (using a voltmeter) where I'm having problems.
How do I
measure if 24V is going through the coil/magnet.

The relay box looks like this (wires go to points A,B,C,D):

A 24V b
------------- | |
| |
| |
| |
| |
C------------D
240V

When the switch is off volmeter shows 240V between C and D

When the switch is on volmeter shows 0V between C and D

How do I measure voltage in A and B?

If C and D drops to zero then I would assume the relay is closing.

The voltage on A and B should be 24 volts when the switch is on.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The relay is rated 24V-8V. I'd like to know what I am getting.

What if I (using my voltmeter) connect A or B to ground Should I then
get 24V on
my meter.

Not neccessarily, unless A or B happens to also be grounded, which would
not necessarily represent a fault.

Put your meter probes across A and B. You will probably read zero when
the switch is OFF and should read 18 to 24 volts when it's ON.

If you get the 18-24 volts with the switch ON, but no "click", yet C and
D drops to zero as you say, then I'm missing something.

Not all relays make an audible click.

Do you know where the low voltage source running through the switch
comes from?

More details please...

Jeff