Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default DVD repair question

"radiosrfun" wrote in message
I have a DVD player here - most likely not worth repairing - given todays
prices - but it belongs to my grandkids and it is a "Batman" oriented
design.

Now - first of all, it's had a history of the littlest one stuffing a
"few" dvds in the slot. Each time, I took them out - player worked ok.

This last time it was brought to me, it wasn't playing at all. First of
all, I noticed - but not sure of the issue - which I'll get into
"second" - that the mechanism wasn't bringing the laser to the DVD. I
manually corrected it - then seen it wasn't playing that way either. I
cleaned the player with some DVD/CD cleaner supplies - and it is now
playing "that" way. The second issue which I corrected manually for the
testing purposes is - the DVD goes in - door shuts - the mechanism is
supposed to come up injecting the spindle into the DVD to rotate it and
also place it in range of the laser - it is not doing that. If I push it
up "manually" - all works well.

Now - I've started to look at it albeit need some better lighting than
where it was. I'm not sure "yet" - if it is of a mechanical issue,
electrical or combination as to the cause of this problem. I started to
look at it - got away from it for a few days due to other work - but was
in the process of checking the mechanics. Not having a schematic on this,
what is the probability that an Electronics component "could" be faulty? I
mean - so far - the mechanics "seem" ok - but still checking. IF I can run
this down to even a "board" - there are only like 4 sections to this,
maybe if I can't narrow it down to "a" part - I can order the "board" or
Mechanism. Most is pretty much plug in and screws holding it down.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of issue? I've never had to do a
DVD/CD repair other than cleaning - before now - to really know the
"inner" workings. So, it is going to be a learning experience for me - in
this regard.

Model # KSM6002

Aside from a DC Comics label affixed - the only name I see on it is - Kids
Station Toys International. It has a Customer Service Number listed on
it - but I'd rather reserve that call for any parts - rather than tech
information as we all know how those calls can go - sometimes. I hate
battling my way through scores of people who don't understand the problem
only to be forwarded to someone I can't even understand (bad English).

The most common things for the mech failing to come up under the disc
correctly, are either misalignment of the mechanics, which usually means
that the tray rack has slipped a tooth or two on its drive gear, which is
usually related timing-wise to some kind of cam or anular gear that handles
the deck lifting, or a slipping belt. Normally, if it is a timing issue, you
will never get the deck to come up and lock, even if you try to help it. On
the other hand, if the deck does come up when helped, then that is almost
certainly a slack drive belt issue, assuming it uses one. When the motor has
to crank the weight of the deck up, after the relatively easy task of
sliding the tray back in, this brings the drive train under a lot of load,
and that is exactly when the belt slips. With direct drive systems, I have
had a similar problem caused by weak drive to the motor, but if that turns
out to be the case here, you might struggle to locate the cause without
schematics.

As an aside, your observation that the laser was not homing, is probably as
a result of the loading sequence not completing. When the deck comes up into
place, a switch is made, which tells the system control micro that it can
start the disc evaluation procedure, the first part of which is to check
that the laser is home, and if not, to drive it there.

Arfa