Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Cleaning/bleaching/sanding outside door threshhold?

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:21:02 GMT, blueman wrote:

What is the best way to "clean" the wood on a weathered oak
threshhold?

I plan on refinishing it but the wood is now dirty and grey since the
old finish has worn away.

I could always aggressively sand but I was wondering whether it made
more sense to combine sanding with some type of cleaning or bleaching.
I don't want to bleach away the wood's natural color, just remove
accumulated weathering and embedded dirt.

So would you recommend cleaning in addition to sanding?
If so what chemicals and/or combinations? (bleach? oxalic acid?
hydrogen peroxide? other?)
What strengths?
Any suggested brands?

Thanks,
Jeff

You can use a rag dampened with mineral spirits. But, the best is
sanding maybe using 100 grit, 150 grit then 220 grit. If you decide
to use a water-based cleaning product, allow the threshold to
completely dry (for a week or so) before applying a urethane, poly, or
varnish product.