Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

Default TV reception - analogue

Paul Martin wrote:
In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
Terry D wrote:
Sorry if this is an inappropriate group for my posting, but I know there are
some very knowledgeable people out there.

I have an 8" LCD Evesham TV (analogue signal), which I watch at my desk
whilst working on my computer. The TV works fine with a small set-top
aerial (normally blu-tacked to the top of one of my printers!). However,
when I want to watch channel 4, I have to move the aerial down by about one
foot so I can achieve decent reception - all other channels are fine. Why
should this be? It doesn't really worry me (except when I want to watch
Countdown) but is there a technical explanation for this? The TV on the
ground floor of my house.

x-posted to uk.tech.broadcast - Helpful lot. (Except they are about to
prove me wrong on that...) I think you'll get asked where you are.

It's caused by standing waves in the reflections from inside the house.

That's one reason why rooftop aerials are always preferred over set top
aerials.

So you get better reflections from trees, power lines and aircraft.. ;-)