Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default CRT Monitor Problem

Thanks for the quick reply. I did look to see if there would be any
obvious stress from the case being on, but you're right it is probably
going to be hard to find and somewhere *not* obvious.

These sorts of problems are actually pretty easy to track down most of the
time. Find yourself an insulated stick of some sort, my favorite is the
plastic rod from a set of window blinds but I've used wooden dowels, plastic
pen bodies, etc. Remove the cover from the monitor, power it up, and start
gently poking and tapping areas of the board until you find the ticklish
spot, and then flip the board over and inspect carefully for cracked solder
joints.