Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Which DVD Player is more reliable?

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
I need to get a cheap DVD player for a rental property. I have a
choice of a Philips or a Memorex DVD player for $24.99 USD. Anyone
have any thoughts/printable comments about which might be more
reliable?

Bob Hofmann

Personally Bob, I would go for the Philips, as it's at least likely to be
actually made by them. As Meat says, it's basically a disposable item, but
that doesn't help much when it fails 6 months in ... FWIW, most of the cheap
ones that I see for repair, have very 'marginal' power supplies in that they
have tiny 85 deg caps fitted that are rated about 2 volts above what they
have to work at, and it's often these that fail inside warranty. A
contributory factor in this, I think, is ventilation, so you might want to
consider keeping it out in the open, rather than tucking it away in a
cupboard underneath the TV.

Arfa