Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Christmas Light Puzzler - HELP

"**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**" wrote in message
Don't try to short out the safety bulb, or you will have a fire. It is
there to act as a fuse.

As the "shunt" bulbs burn out, the voltage (and current) accross the
remaining bulbs increases thus accelerating failure of remaining "shunt"
bulbs. Eventually the "safety" bulb in the string blows out. The solution
is to replace "shunt" bulbs whenever they blow out. Delayed too long, the
"safety" bulb goes as well.

I would string a new set of lights on the worst branches this year and
replace the tree next year for safety's sake.

2500 lights, thats a lot of lights!

When did this "safety bulb" thing come about? This thread is the first I've
ever seen or heard of it. Is it a European thing or is this here in the US?
Every string of miniature series lights I've ever seen has all identical
shunted lamps and a fused plug.