Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab Bill Schwab is offline

Default Excellent Space Shuttle Assembly Photos

Jeff,

A nice PowerPoint presentation showing many photos of the prelaunch
assembly of the Space Shuttle, boosters and payload.

Enjoy

http://tinyurl.com/2zujb9

Great stuff - thanks! I saw Atlantis stacked in the VAB (main engines
removed, leaving one hell of a hole), and will never forget it. The
first shock was getting off of an elevator to see a stucco wall - the
tank. Pictures being as available as they are now, it probably won't
surprise many of you to know that all of tiles are numbered (which makes
sense since no two are alike, IIRC). It caught me off guard at the time.

We eventually worked our way up to the crew cabin level, and had a great
view of the orbiter, tank and boosters, and the struts between them.
The stack looked too big to fly, and the crew cabin way too small to
take into a hard vacuum followed by re-entry.

Remember the tiny looking tube running down the side of tank? It isn't
so tiny. The mobile launcher is worth a tour on it own. There is
enough electronics in there to make me wonder how they get it all
working at one time, though that is probably not necessary. I hear the
pad is worse.

Bill