Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default How do I use a Split bolt ? (electrical)

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

When I first started learning about this sort of stuff we used "rubber
tape" first and then covered that with black cloth adhesive "friction
tape" to handle any abrasion.

Vinyl tape wasn't invented yet. G

Jeff

Yes and Western Union splices soldered, "T" taps on runs for drops.
All sort of things the current crop of electricians would't know
of. :-)
...lew...

We used to pigtail the ceiling box connections pointed downward, flux, and
then solder with a swiveling solder pot heated on a pump-up gasoline
blowtorch. Let cool, rubber tape and friction tape. Installed lots of
turn-key switch lampholders on green drop wire and a lot of pull-chains. No
wall switches, only one or two receptacles, typically for refrigerator and
electric iron. Radios, etc, powered from ceiling light by screw-in adapter.
Worst was boring holes and cutting ceiling box holes in heart pine with a
keyhole saw while standing on a rickety ladder. The "good old days" when REA
was extending lines in rural areas (late '40s).

Don Young